Tuesday, September 6, 2011

What inspires me: artists, other influences, and how they connect to my work.

1. My daughter Zoey:
She is truly the source for much of my inspiration and the source for nearly all of my motivation and influences what I do to great lengths. It is easy to remember why you are working so hard when the reason why you work so hard follows you around offering to help with your latest assignment by drawing a picture for you. =) Not to mention her constant positive energy helps me to stay positive. Plus, she is really, really adorable.

The way in which she connects to my work is in the subject of childhood. Childhood with all it's happiness, excitement, learning, innocence, solitude, discovery, energy, boredom, fear, loneliness, and imagination. I find the nostalgia of it all intriguing, and the way some memories just fade over the years until the only things you remember from your childhood are seemingly unimportant, small details; such as colors, smells, a place, a toy, a single moment, an object you wanted and never received, and so on and so forth. Childhood is so simple and complex at the same time and it is a favorite topic of mine.

my adorable Zoey


2. Stefan Sagmeister:
a truly talented and creative graphic designer and typographer. It is sorta my dream to be able to do  installation pieces as elaborate as the ones he orchestrates. How this relates to me and my work is in the sense that I most enjoy making installations out of smaller pieces to create a the larger whole.

self-confidence produces fine results

obsessions make my life worse and my work better


3. Salvidor Dali:
He was most definitely crazy but also extremely brilliant and talented. In a different why his work is made up of smaller parts to create a larger whole as well. For me this demonstrates an abundance of ways to potentially execute my interests.



4. Chuck Close:
I really love how his more recent work has an amazing level of realism but is also distorted and somewhat abstracted. I love art along these lines. This is similar to the kind of work I would like to create. An altered realism where the painting looks much more realistic from afar than it does close up.



5. Joseph Cornell:
 I love his shadow box pieces. Something about the strangeness of the contends makes me think I'm looking into a kind of cabinet of curiosities or someone's box/drawer of special oddities that they find endearing because of their special meaning. Like a memory box. Like you are looking into a memory of someone else. I think this may be a great medium for executing my interests. It is not something I have experience with but I would like to experiment with it for sure.





6. Anthropologie:
Okay, so this isn't a person, it's a place. Nevertheless it is a very inspirational store that I have taken inspiration from since I was 13. I figured 11 years of inspiration earned it a spot in my inspiring people list because what makes the Anthropologie store so inspirational is the creative people who design the interior of each store individually. So whoever they are, I find them inspiring and they influence what I want to create. I would really love to have that job. It would allot me the opportunity to do awesome large installations like Sagmeister.


"disposable" plastic cups


handing lollipops

books

looks like something Joseph Cornell would do


How any of these things connect to my work I can not completely say because in many ways I don't have work yet. I mostly have assignments where I liked the outcome more. This semester is when I will hopefully find out what my work really is. With that said, these are the things that most interest/inspire/influence me so it if most likely that "my work" will have a connection at all of the above, whether it be great or small only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment